Browsers: CSS disappears on HD checks

started by Stan on Feb 28, 2004 — RSS Feed

Stan Stan
Posts: 44

Here's a real puzzle. A few days ago, whenever I checked my pages prior to uploading them, they were not influenced by my style sheets. They had default fonts etc. This problem occured with IE 5.1, Mozilla 1.2.1 and Netscape 7.01. Strangely, Netscape 4.65 displayed the pages the way they were intended to look. All the pages look fine on all the above mentioned browsers when I view them from the net instead of my hard drive. I'm using Mac OS 9.1.

Does anyone know what's going on and what I can do about it?

Dzblack Dzblack
Posts: 33

This is a good subject but not easily explained. I remember this problem vividly with OS9.

Working with Dreamweaver and IE on the Mac, we could not get our recent CSS changes to show up in IE (some version of 5.X). We tried everything from closing IE and reopening, to clearing the cache and still no visible evidence of our style changes. Only the net worked, the hard drive did not.

In short, the solution is not easily identifiable to me. All I know is this: We now have OS 10.2.8 and DreamweaverMX and Safari as our testing browser. All changes to CSS are readily available on the fly from our hard drive.

Yes, I know, this is not pinning down the problem. It only provides our solution.

OS9 was buggy as far as I'm concerned. A bunch of weird problems such as yours went away after our upgrade.

Hope this helps.

Stan Stan
Posts: 44

My plan was to hold out a couple of more months so I can upgrade by buying a whole new machine. What would make this problem show up all of a sudden? I've had OS 9 for a few years now.

Dzblack Dzblack
Posts: 33

Stan, I do not know that answer. All I do know is that support for IE on the Mac is dead with Safari so strong.

I will look into this further, call my Mac buddies about this, see if they know the exact answer.

Dave

Baxter Baxter
Posts: 157

I'm still on 9 and that's a new one one me. If you're setting up "sites" in dreamweaver or whatever, it sounds like a path issue that's resolved when the files are uploaded and in place.

Joe Gillespie Joe Gillespie
Posts: 528

I have never seen this problem on OS9, or anything else. As baxter says, it's most likely a path problem, but that's easy to check. Look at the path in the <link href...

If the .css file is at the same level as the page it should be

href="mystyles.css"

up a level it's

href="../mystyles.css"

in another directory its

href="../directoryname/mystyles.css"

Watch out for the notorious

href="/mystyles.css"

that's is going to fail on a hard disk because a slash on its own has a special meaning and only works properly on UNIX.

Dzblack Dzblack
Posts: 33

Stan, I remember this problem now. I believe it has everything to do with setting your links as Relative to: Document or Site Root.

If your pages are all set Relative to: Site Root, then you may encounter the problem mentioned in your first post.

Go back and check all links on all pages and set them to Relative to: Document and I believe the problem will go away.

Dave

Jdenny Jdenny
Posts: 65

Checking your paths was going to be exactly my advice, I have started to ensure the work-in-progress on my hard drive is in a directory structure identical to that on the web server.

Stan Stan
Posts: 44

Here is the link from the head of the pages.

<link rel="stylesheet" href="mvbscss.css" type="text/css" />

It's been the same for months.

I haven't moved the style sheet or added new folders to the folder that holds the site. I get the problem not only if I open a page using the "preview in browser" feature in Dreamweaver, but also if I just drag the file onto the brower's icon.

I tried updating from 9.1 to 9.2.1 and saw no difference.

Dzblack Dzblack
Posts: 33

Stan...root-relative links are interpreted by servers, not by browsers, so if you open a local page that uses root-relative links in your browser, the links don't work. You will have to preview from the server, not your local files.

Go to the HELP menu in Dreamweaver and type in: Site root-relative paths .

That may help you.

Baxter Baxter
Posts: 157

I've never had a problem with using relative links locally, but your local directory/file structure MUST match the server if you want it to work the same.

Dzblack Dzblack
Posts: 33

Stan...here's another thing to check...in your Dreamweaver Preferences, Preview in Browser...uncheck the "Preview Using Temporary File"

This bypasses the temporary copy and goes directly to the document for preview and server debugging. I have found the temporary file in dreamweaver to be buggy on my Mac.

Also, I'm waiting for a reply from another forum about this issue. We will get this pinned down and solved one way or another.

You must login to reply