WPDFD Articles: css menus don't work in Safari 1.0.3

started by Slyone on Oct 3, 2004 — RSS Feed

Slyone Slyone

You probably knew that your menus don't work in Safari 1, but just in case...they don't.

Joe Gillespie Joe Gillespie

Why are you still using Safari 1.0.3? Safari is now at 1.2.3 and they work fine.

If you check out old versions of any other browser they probably won't work - hence my rider about NOT relying on navigation that depends totally on JavaScript (or Java or Flash or anything else that is not HTML).

Slyone Slyone

Most designers I know with older G4s are running the last really stable release of OSX--10.2.8--, not Panther, and can't run the latest Safari Browser (thanks, Apple). My G4 tower is a really great machine and runs power-hungry apps like Photoshop CS like a charm...I have no intention of upgrading anytime soon.

Safari 1 is not that old and is still in common use in the mac community.

Joe Gillespie Joe Gillespie

Sadly, Safari 1.0 was (is) badly difficient in the JavaScript department. If you can't upgrade to Safari 1.2.3 (and OSX 10.3.5) give FireFox a spin.

I read a review a week or so ago (can't remember where) but they reckoned that Camino was the best OSX browser but I think that was more to do with the look and feel than speed or functionality. FireFox is more advanced and you can get themes (skins) that are more 'Mac like' than the default. I have 'GreyModern' which is very like the Mozilla 'Modern'.

Anyway, FireFox gives you JavaScript debugging, has loads of Web Developer plug-ins and live RSS feeds. You don't need to hold on to Safari 1.0 for sentimental reasons

You must login to reply